The National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) is at the forefront of efforts to advance equality and justice in the American workplace through federal legislation and public policy. Since NELA’s inception, we have lobbied and provided technical assistance to Congress on scores of federal legislation that bring us closer to achieving our mission. Visit our About NELA page for more information about our work..
Legislative & Public Policy Priorities
In fulfilling our mission, NELA has adopted the following federal legislative and public policy priorities:
- Keep the courthouse doors open by fighting against forced arbitration of workplace disputes, and preserve the right to a jury for working people.
- Safeguard workers’ recoveries for illegal workplace violations from unfair taxation.
- Ensure that independent and fair-minded individuals who are faithful to America’s promise of equal justice under law are appointed to the federal bench.
- Enhance workplace protections on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, and age.
- Advocate for stronger protections for workers with caregiving responsibilities, including strengthening the Family and Medical Leave Act, passage of the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act, and reforms to unfair scheduling practices.
- Advocate for an increase in the minimum wage, as well as fair wage, hour, and leave standards; protect those who expose employer abuse, fraud, and waste; and challenge at-will employment.